Thursday, August 25, 2005

Marriage Books

I feel like I'm in writing boot camp. These past couple months I have been revising a book for the guy I work for the most - Josh McDowell. In the 80's he wrote "Secret of Loving" and sold a slew of books. He's kept me really busy for over a year but this baby hasn't been the most rewarding. I am surely grateful, but bored to death - as well. It's a book full of quotes, excerpts and statistics from journals, magazines and other books. All of which I am responsible to replace with something similar and new. The problem for me is that this is not my niche subject. Maybe it will be one day.

Yesterday, I counted over 400 articles and journals I have combed through. I've yet to count how many marriage, love and relationship books there are in my huge wooden basket in the living room. To be honest, I'd rather not think about marriage for a while. If you wonder why, it's because 1) I have other subjects burning I'd ready to write about & 2) I'm unimpressed with the books we're putting out there on relationships, marriage, sex and love. They lack something - maybe it's depth (I'll go into that at another time) yet they have plenty of fluff and reference the same people over and over.

The only way I'd love to write about marriage is to add some philosophical juice to it. Make people think. Yancey does what he does so well because he makes you think. He works really hard to be fresh and creative. These books are simple and clear but not original. Maybe, I'm too into it right now to be objective. What do you think about marriage books?

I have one week for FINISH - and I'd appreciate your prayers. I'm reminded tonight that learning is living, and that is because growing yourself grows people. True love is underscored in giving, never in recieving. A way of thinking I learned today is: You are changed most by the love you give.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com